The main culprit is the standard Western diet cause our body to carry an acidic burden, especially drinks like cola, as the body attempts to balance the body’s alkalinity by leaching calcium from your bones…..
Even stress, negative emotions and lack of exercise can generate acidity in the body. Emotions can have twice as much of an effect on our blood and health as any food can.
Acid and Alkaline foods
So what are the acidic foods?
Yeasts – bread, mushrooms etc
Refined foods – sodas, pizza, fries, cakes, cookies, microwave meals, potato chips, bread, caffeine, fatty meats, ice cream, smoking, beers, wines, condiments, etc.
Fresh vegetables especially leafy greens,
Nuts and seeds
Lemons, limes, grapefruit
Fresh foods, raw foods, whole foods, foods with a high-water content and nutritional value.
A raw food diet is highly alkaline. (Unless you eat fruit all day long as the levels of sugar in most fruit makes fruit acidic!)
Generally, if a food is high in alkaline minerals including magnesium, potassium, calcium or sodium it is likely to be alkaline to the body.
How To Stay Alkaline
• Increase the alkalinity of your water by using PH drops or lemon juice to alkalize or invest in a water ionizer or alkaline sticks that will improve the PH levels of any water.
• Cut out the acidic food and drink you know you can easily do without and just cut down others.
• Add in a green juice to your diet – add some fruit whilst you are getting used to the taste. Use a greens powder throughout the day too, to increase your alkalinity.
• Add in a tomato salad to one of your meals. Plus some green leaves like arugula or baby spinach and, perhaps some avocado. Or both!
• Incorporate foods you like that are alkaline – they are the ones you already know are good for you! (fresh foods, leafy green vegetables, salads, nuts).
• Whilst you are transitioning to being more alkaline, test the alkalinity of your body throughout the day by using PH strips.
• Exercise as regularly as you can.
• Stay positive and as stress free as possible.
You might be thinking that you are feeling fine, eating and drinking acid foods but there is no doubt that your body will be out of balance and will eventually succumb to disease of some description. Currently you may suffer from colds and flu, allergies, skin complaints at the very least. Eventually you will be prone to more major illnesses that you might just view as inevitable or a symptom of aging but these are not a forgone conclusion if you act now.
“Eating alkaline foods balances the pH of the blood, which, in turn, inhibits the proliferation of cancer cells. Alkaline foods keep the blood pH in its ideal range of between 7.2 and 7.4, which is important for the prevention and treatment of cancer. Ideally, the diet should consist of 80 percent alkaline-forming foods, such as those available from many raw fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts, seeds, grains, and legumes.” Gary Null, Ph.D., author of The Complete Encyclopedia of Natural Healing: A Comprehensive A-Z Listing of Common and Chronic Illnesses and Their Proven Natural Treatments.
To become alkaline and therefore healthy, you simply need to start focusing 70 – 80% of your diet on alkaline foods and try to limit the acidic foods. Back this up with 3-4 liters of good quality, clean, alkaline water each day and you will soon start to feel awesome!